FUNDING BUTTON LINK

Friday, December 23, 2011

Natural Sign Language - Enhanced Communication

Share this ARTICLE with your colleagues on LinkedIn .



English: A Deaf, Hard-Of-Hearing or Speech-Imp...Image via WikipediaOn a recent trip to Southeast Asia, I learned a great number of things while being in isolated 'conversational' encounters with other folks who spoke almost exclusively Cantonese, while I had only my Americanized English to offer. By the way, if you're a Yank venturing east, remember to boil all water before you drink it.

At first, encounters were awkward as my conversational counterparts and I each tried using some words in our native tongues. But as we became more comfortable, conversation became much more comfortable, efficient and rapid as we simulated to each other (through crude sign language demonstrations of acts, rather like the game of "Charades"), and became responsive by using the most universal signs for "yes," "no," "tell me more, I don't quite understand," "Oh, I get it!," and the ever-popular eye rolling when finding something mutually ridiculous or objectionable.

When we physically (visually and viscerally) demonstrate what we want to say, we are very powerfully effective at communicating on a viable level. The more of this that we do, the more proficient we become at it; the more that we engage in this practice with the same companion, the more intuitive and flowing the thoughts, expressions and communications become.

Here's a thought:

Perhaps our regular communications and messaging to others would become more effective if we incorporated more physical gestures with our verbal conversations. I believe that these gestures add clarity, a deeper emotional understanding of what lies underneath the surface of our words, more emphasis, more memorability and the extra benefit of primitive re-humanizing of ourselves.

When we use these gestures, we become more like teachers and less like preachers.

Try it. You can just nod your head for "yes, Douglas."

Douglas E. Castle for Sending Signals, Taking Command and Braintenance.

p.s. I will definitely endeavor to learn signing, so that I may expand my communication skills to engage in conversations with those who are challenged with impaired hearing. I never realized how important this additional language skill could be -- and it has the benefit of being largely international.







Share this page

No comments:

Bookmark and Share